Colorado Trail Segment 6 - The Hills Are Alive

 

Back on the trail again this July. Haven't gotten around to writing about it because life just keeps moving. Next weekend I will be back out for another segment and I didn't want those memories to blend into these ones so I had to get it down before it faded. 

This segment was particularly grueling for the elevation gains, the foot issues for my fellow hikers, and the long days. Mountain bikers were out in all their glory. Some were very considerate and tried not to sneak up on us and others forced us off the trail with their speed and momentous force. I don't mind them as long as I can get off the trail fast enough. You really have to pay attention though because they are moving fast!

We actually hiked this segment "backwards" starting in Breckenridge and ending at Kenosha Pass. The climb up from Breck felt like we could have been singing "the hills are alive with the sound of music." Wildflowers were everywhere and we were weaving in and out of trees climbing up to tree line and beyond to see the vistas. It was a long stretch to our first camp spot and water was sparse. We wanted to climb up and make it down enough to camp by water sources and below tree line on the other side. We figured out that having warm water to wash our faces with at night is the best feeling after a long day hiking up a mountain. I also reaffirmed for myself that having a warm drink before I go to bed and when I wake up are little luxuries that I look forward to and view as tradition now, maybe even ceremonious bookends to the days.

On Day 2 we were in pain, some more than others. My shoulders were getting raw and so sore from the straps of the pack. I wonder how people adjust who are committed to being out there for a month. We came across one girl wearing crocs down a mountain. Her feet had swelled so badly that she no longer could fit into her boots. The crocs weren't too great on her toes going down a mountain. I can imagine that this is the kind of thing that might cause you to lose a toenail or two on the trail. I think your body adjusts though and you work through the pain. Hopefully she made it to Breckenridge and took a zero day. I hope she got to lay in bed and heal her feet a little before heading out again. Anyhow, we climbed up Georgia Pass which was pretty incredible and we got hailed and rained on near the top. Luckily it stopped when we got to the top so we didn't have to worry about lightning at that point. We stopped and rested for a bit and snacked on some things. I was happy to have the chocolate almonds I brought. We reluctantly left this spot to get down to our water source and next campsite. It was very buggy and raining when we got there so we set up our tent in a hurry and somehow managed to heat water for our dinner. It rained most of the night. Luckily we stayed warm and dry! 

Day 3 we were exhausted and in more pain but we hiked through the most incredible aspen groves with wildflowers everywhere. It was amazing. I couldn't believe how beautiful it was. I forgot about the pain it was so beautiful. 


We always meet amazingly diverse people out there. A woman older than us was finishing her last segment of the entire Colorado Trail. She said that segment 6 was her most favorite segment of all of them. She also challenged us to take on more segments at a time as life would allow. We also met a gentleman from Alaska who travels to Colorado every single summer to hike the entire Colorado Trail by himself. Can you imagine? The entire trail every summer. It usually takes around a month unless you have extraordinary daily mileage. I wonder about the people who can thru-hike. How do they make that happen? How do they design their life so that they can take off for a month or 6 months for a longer thru hike? It's a commitment to the journey and everyone has a different reason for doing something like that. I hope I get to thru hike someday. I hope I make that happen. 

Another woman I met asked about the logistics of section hiking. I was telling her how we have to park one car at one end and another car at the other end of the trail. She then told me how she found a Facebook group for section hikers where you can pay someone to shuttle you from your car at the end point to the start point so you can hike back to your car and drive home from there. She said her husband was not on board with driving to a town hours away to pick her up so she had to figure out something else to keep her section hiking adventures going. 

These people are so committed. I love these people. They find something that is challenging and adventurous and fulfilling and they spend their vacation days out in the mountains on their own. There is no money pot or special award they receive. They are truly people after a unique experience of their very own. There is a magic to it all. I know it now. I feel it.  It can be grueling and painful but these are the things I will never regret doing. These are some of the most precious memories I have outside of my family life. 


What to remember for next hike? Salty snacks are better than sweet. You need extra room in your hiking boots. Be patient with your friends. Keep the vibes good and high. Adjust your sack to sit on your hips, not your shoulders. Bring more water than you think you need. More water is better than not enough. People out on the trail are interesting and funny and incredible and inspiring. 

Looking forward to the next segment. 

Comments

Popular Posts